The archaeological compound of Ardasai stands on the slopes of Monte Tònneri, one of the highest peaks in the Gennargentu Massif, in the heart of the Montarbu Forest.
Dating back to the historical Middle Bronze age (c. 1500-1200 B.C.), the area includes a Nuraghe compound built on a rocky protrusion, a village of huts, located on the plateau below around the Nuraghe, a holy Nuragic spring and a tomb of the giants.
The Nuraghe compound in limestone, has a main tower, surrounded by a thick city wall and two secondary towers supporting it.
The main tower, originally with several floors, currently preserves only the lower one and the staircase leading to the upper ones.
The lower floor has a corridor leading to the round-shaped internal chamber complete with tholos roof, nowadays partially collapsed.
The smaller secondary towers are partially destroyed. In one of these, the staircase leading to the upper floors is still visible.
The village has round and oval stone huts.
Not far from the Nuraghe is a holy Nuragic well, and a tomb of the giants, linked to the site’s activities of worship, and a small tomb of the giants which has been partially preserved.
The site can be reached from the town of Seui. Follow the trunk road SS 198 for Lanusei as far as Casa Cantoniera di Arcueri. The signalman’s house with relative crossroads is on the left of the road. Follow the road for Montarbu e Perda Liàna and continue straight on without taking any of the detours along the way. After about 12 km, you will see the Nuraghe on the left-hand side of the road.